The original cave is located about one kilometre from the town of Zestoa in the municipality of Deba. Inside the Ekain cave we can admire its impressive cave paintings of bears, deers and above all of horses that marks one of the high points in Franco-Cantabrian art. The cave was discovered in 1969 by two speleologists from Azpeitia (Andoni Albizuri and Rafael Rezabal) and excavated by J. M. de Barandiaran and J. Altuna). In the end of 2008, it was declared as a world heritage site by Unesco, along with other prehistoric sanctuaries of the Cantabrian coast.
An exact replica of the original Ekainberri cave is located in the same Sastarrain valley about 200 metres away from the original cave and 800 meters from the town. Here the visitor apart from being able to see an exact replica of the paintings and the Ekain cave, they can as well experience by themselves the feelings and emotions that were lived by the two discoverers of the cave and the paintings.
Ticket office: 10:00 - 13:30 / 15:00 - 17:30
- Tuesday to friday: 10:00-18:00
- Weekend, holidays and summer: 10:00-19:00
- December and January, Tuesday to Sunday: 10:00-18:00
- Adults: 6€
- Youth / student / retired person: 5€
- Free of charge: Children below 6 years; Public teachers from the Basque Autonomous Community; ICOM.
- Discounts: Groups and large families (10 %); Betizu (20 %).